Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about planning a fundraising event.
How do I begin?
To ensure that your activity is fun and not overwhelming, and that you cover every aspect of the event:
- Put together a calendar and a checklist. A calendar and checklist will help you take care of all the details involved in planning your activity in a timely, orderly fashion.
- Solicit volunteers. Many hands make light work. Having volunteers help you out further engages people in your activity and builds the excitement. You can even have a volunteer rally a few days prior to your activity to get your team geared up.
How do I order brochures?
To order brochures or a DVD, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state how many you would like of each. ORBIS is happy to send you multiple copies for free to distribute at your fundraising event or to display at a booth. Be sure to provide your name, mailing address and e-mail address.
Can I order ORBIS hats or other products? Can I use your logo?
We aren't able to provide you with hats, pens or T-shirts to give out, but you can produce your own for distribution. We will supply the logo, but we do request that you show us the final design beforehand. Send your request to email@example.com.
How do I get donated items for auctions, raffles or door prizes?
Businesses are often willing to give to a cause by donating items or services. Consider asking the manager of a restaurant, movie theater or mini-golf course to donate a gift certificate for two. ORBIS can provide receipts for tax deductions with proof of donation.
Do you have a brief description of ORBIS I can use?
ORBIS International is a nonprofit humanitarian organization that works in developing countries to save sight worldwide. ORBIS prevents and treats blindness through hands-on training, public health education, improved access to quality eye care, advocacy and partnerships with local health care organizations. Through the work of its
Hospital and permanent programs in
Bangladesh, ORBIS has transferred sight-saving skills to hundreds of thousands of eye care professionals in 90 countries. ORBIS’s Flying Eye Hospital is the world’s only aircraft converted into a state-of-the-art operating room and teaching facility dedicated to ophthalmic care. Visit www.orbis.org to get a complete picture of ORBIS’s work.
How do I engage people in my event?
Briefly explain why you support ORBIS:
- Explain that of the 39 million blind people in the world, an estimated 80 percent could have prevented their blindness or had their sight restored if they'd had access to proper treatment.
- Emphasize that many types of blindness are easily avoidable or treatable, yet in underdeveloped countries, eye care is practically non-existent for many people.
- Describe what ORBIS is doing to alleviate this problem, such as training eye care professionals and donating equipment.
- Share what influenced you to take on this challenge and how your activity will help improve the situation.
How do I get the word out?
Your creativity is the best tool:
- Submit a notice to local TV and radio stations and local newspapers, including free neighborhood papers
- Have your own fundraising page set up on our webiste and circulate it to everyone you know. Just download this simple form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Distribute flyers and putting up posters
- Use e-mail, telephone and mail
What do I do after the event to keep people interested in ORBIS?
After your activity, be sure to thank your sponsors and all those involved. Keep them posted on what ORBIS is doing to save sight worldwide through social media like Facebook and Twitter. Recommend they bookmark www.orbis.org.
For further information on planning your event or to see examples of other people's projects, see: