As a member of the headquarters-based Global ORBIS Communications team, the Associate Director, Media Relations will play a key role in developing a strong media and influencer network across public health, aviation, lifestyle and creative media to help build the organizational brand and support relevant initiatives. The role is responsible for expanding the visibility of ORBIS and the understanding of its mission through effective and strategic media relations initiatives and campaigns. This position should elevate ORBIS awareness and understanding through traditional and digital media.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
The Associate Director, Media Relations reports to Chief Marketing Officer and works closely with members of the ORBIS fundraising, program and operations teams to ensure consistency of messaging and accuracy of information. She/he supervises the Communications Coordinator, who supports both the Associate Director, Media Relations and Associate Director, Public Relations.
- Identify, plan and execute the U.S. media relations objectives and activities to enhance the organization's image with global and local media representatives and the public at large.
- Collaborate with global communications colleagues on the overall integration of media relations and communications planning, including website and online media and ensure consistent messaging and cohesive execution.
- Write materials for traditional and digital media - including press releases, press kits, media briefings and other documents.
- Create and implement media campaigns in support of ORBIS‘s global eye care programs.
- Generate and leverage media coverage by cultivating relationships with journalists and actively pursuing the placement of articles about ORBIS.
- Work with the Associate Director, Public Relations on creating metrics to continually measure and evaluate the communications processes and communicating results to senior management and other key staff.
- Leverage opportunities to work with corporate partners on media activities.
- Utilize social media as a key tool to deliver the ORBIS story.
- Provide guidance and support to ORBIS staff who are appointed ORBIS spokespersons.
- Co-manage and supervise the Communications Coordinator who is tasked to provide a broad range of support to the HQ communications team.
- Manage the assignments of visiting journalists, communications consultants, volunteers and freelancers, including writers, translators, photographers, video producers and film crews. This will require close collaboration with other members of the global communications team.
- Participate in the special projects and assignments as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in communication, PR, business or an equivalent focus.
- Min 8 years progressive work experience focused on media relations and communication supporting globally branded organizations.
- Previous experience in communicating medical or technical information to general audiences is helpful.
- Prior exposure to an international work environment is desirable.
- Extensive knowledge of print, digital and broadcast mediums.
- Proven ability to network and influence across media, with a proven background in pitching media.
- High aptitude for creative thinking balanced against bottom line business needs.
- On the ground media/PR experience with ability to communicate clearly as a high profile company spokesperson both on and off camera.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent writing and presentation skills: demonstrated expertise in developing and producing a variety of print and online promotional materials such as brochures, annual reports and videos.
- Strong interpersonal and team work skills: ability to interact successfully with colleagues and third parties in a multi‑cultural professional environment.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, scheduling software) and Internet savvy.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR RESUME